April 16, 2016

Smashwords Interview: Question Two

Here's some more of my Smashwords interview and some new answers to this question:

Who are your favorite authors?
              
One of the first authors that I absolutely adored as a kid was Lloyd Alexander, who wrote such books as the Westmark trilogy, The Iron Ring, The Remarkable Journey of Prince Jen, The Arkadians and the Prydain Chronicles. The very first book of his that I read was Time Cat.
Terry Pratchett became a favorite author of mine and I have read almost all of his Discworld novels. There's a handful I haven't read, and perhaps I have been putting them off...RIP, Sir.
I really got into Neil Gaiman with Neverwhere, and went on to read Amerian Gods, Anansi Boys and several volumes of The Sandman.
J.K. Rowling and Harry Potter also became a favorite of mine, although I never would have read the first book if I had not received it at a Christmas book exchange in 1999. Thank you very much for the gift. I had my doubts, but they were definitely proven wrong.
I struggled somewhat with Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, but it was rewarding, and I read Cryptonomicon and Reamde. I have not finished Seveneves, it just got...grim.

I am fond of Michael Chabon and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.
Diana Wynne Jones is also a favorite of mine, especially with Deep Secret.
Who can forget William Goldman and The Princess Bride?
In 2006, I started watching Doctor Who, and I went deep into it a couple years ago, reading various New Adventures, Virgin Adventures, Eighth Doctor Adventures, IDW Doctor Who comics and Doctor Who Magazine comics. I have sort of slowed down there.
And the poor animals of Richard Adams' The Plague Dogs and Watership Down.
Currently, I finally got around to reading The Magicians, probably should have done that sooner. Oh, and I've read The Outsorcerer's Apprentice by Tom Holt. I might need to read some more of his books. Although the bit with a cell phone...ah, well, different narrative usages for such a device.
In recent years, I've been reading more nonfiction, including Neal Gabbler's Walt Disney biography, the Joss Whedon biography, and currently I'm reading 'The Millionaire and the Bard' about Henry Folger and the history behind Shakespeare publications and collections. Who knew that would be interesting? Although the printing section was a bit numbing.
And I'm also going to attempt reading some classics as well.
In some ways, there is no simple answer as to 'Who are your favorite authors', for I like a lot of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment