April 16, 2016

Smashwords Interview Question Three


I'm on a roll here. Question Number 3 from the Smashwords Interview.

What are your five favorite books, and why?
              
A difficult question, but...Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold is definitely one of them. It was one of the first adult books that I read, crossing over from the YA side of the store. It was so serious, dramatic, heartbreaking and traumatic at times, yet it was so hopeful as well.
 
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay also falls into this same category. I am not as steeped in comic books as some, but this is definitely a love letter to that Golden Age of comic books.
 
The Princess Bride is also very heartfelt, and when I first read it, I actually almost believed in William Goldman's writer's story, that he tried to get ahold of the rights to Buttercup's Baby, and couldn't get it. The book version itself went far deeper into the characters and was more serious than I had imagined it would be.
 
Deep Secret is a pretty glorious young adult novel by Diana Wynne Jones that revels in science fiction and fantasy.
 
Finally, but not least, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, which is a pretty hard, tough novel at times that burrows deep into your heart and mind.
 
 
So looking at these answers again, and all of these years later...it's tough to change your-or should I say, my-mind about what your favorite books are. To be honest, it's been a couple of years at least since I've read these books.
 
I do have a tendency to read a bit and place a book aside for a while. There are books filling my shelves that I have not read in years and quite a few books that I have not read at all. These books that I picked for my favorite are, indeed, some formative books that I deeply cherished and have kept for many years since I first read them in...high school, I want to say? Something like that.
 
I might do a series of posts someday reviewing all of the old books I still have on my shelves. That might be an interesting survey of sorts. I will get back to any potential blog readers on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment